Circular walk: Broadwater Warren – Eridge Rocks – Warren Farm – Park Corner – Pin straw Farm Harrisons Rocks – Groombridge – Broadwater Warren
Distance approximately 6 miles. 2 ½ hours walking time.
A varied walk taking in Broadwater Warren and the magnificent sandstone rocks at Eridge and Harrison’s Rocks. Walking through beautiful deciduous woodland with some lovely views across the High Weald. Rest at Groombridge to enjoy a drink or a meal at:-
Or visit the magnificent moated manor house at Groombridge Place and enjoy wandering around its enchanted forest. Alternatively take the Spa Valley Railway from Groombridge Station to Tunbridge Wells or Eridge.
- From Flying Horse Cottage turn right and after 200 yards turn left through a wicket gate into the entrance to Broadwater Warren.
- Keep straight on the path passing the decoy pond on your right and then up the hill.
- Take 2nd turning on your right (after the pond) and follow this track through woodland until you pass out of the RSPB reserve and into the Sussex Wildlife Trust (You will see a post with the RSPB marker on it at this junction). Follow the path until it reaches a junction with the Eridge Rocks.
- Turn left keeping the Rocks on your right until you reach the end of the rocks and a small car park.
- Turn right onto a small lane and carry on until you can see a pair of houses on your right and a large farmhouse straight ahead (Warren Farm)
- Turn left at the post signed The Sussex Border Path before Warren Farm. The path is not clearly marked but skirts around the farmhouse, keeping this to your right. There are lovely views looking southwards and westwards. Once past the farmhouse keep the distinct white house in the distance at Park Corner in your sight and follow this line across the field.
- As you get closer to a line of trees which cross the field from the left hand side, bear left to the edge of the field until you can see a post indicating the footpath. At the post turn right and then after a short distance left across two wooden bridges traversing a stream and then across a field until you reach a lane.
- Turn right onto the lane and pass an oast and houses on your left until you come to a driveway signed Pinstraw Farm, whether there is a footpath post.
- Turn left towards Pinstraw Farm, pass the farm and on until you reach where the path bears to the right and forks. Take the left hand of the 2 paths and this will take you to the railway line where you can walk beside the line, keeping the railway on your left side and you will see the dramatic line of Harrison’s Rocks to your right. Take the right hand path and this leads through beautiful beech woods to the top of Harrisons Rocks. Here you either continue on this path which eventually leads to the car park, or taking care to find an easy route between the rocks you can walk underneath the rocks, through a wood until you reach the car park.
- From the carpark go up the hill until you see a footpath sign on your left. Follow this and it will lead you through a wood and across a field over a footbridge across the railway into Groombridge Village. Turn right by the village school and right again along xxxx Road and you will find the Junction Inn immediately on your right with the Railway Station ahead of you. To reach the Crown Inn turn left into Station Road past the village shops and down to the mini roundabout then right and The Crown can be found on the far side of the village green. You will see the entrance to Groombridge Place on the right hand side of the main road as you go up the hill towards the Crown
- To return to Flying Horse Cottage. Leave the village walking over the railway bridge and carry on Station Road for approximately ½ mile until you reach Birchden Corner. Here you will see an entrance into RSPB Broadwater Warren. Go through the wicket gate and follow the path through woodland. Where the path divides bear left and then turn right.
- Take either the first or second tracks on your left and these will lead you to the RSPB car park. Cross the car park, go through the wicket gate on the far side and take the first path to the left which will lead you back to the gate onto Broadwater Forest Lane.
Turn right onto Broadwater Forest Lane and then after 200 yards left into Flying Horse Cottage.